How do I leave a legacy?

Life is not always easy for those with an Autistic Spectrum Condition. Our expertise gained through over 30 years experience has helped hundreds of people affected by ASC live a better and more fulfilled life.

The Burgess Autistic Trust is a local charity and we rely on donations and legacies in order to carry out our vital work. It is with your help that we can continue to offer our range of services to those that need it most. Leaving a legacy really can help protect our long-term future.  


Here are the answers to some common questions.

How can I help?

The most common ways of leaving a gift in your Will are:

a) Pecuniary Legacy -A fixed sum of money

b) Specific Legacy - A specific item of value, such as an item of property, a piece of jewellery or a painting.

c) Residuary Legacy - The whole or a percentage of your estate after providing for loved ones and covering administrative expenses.

Is it complicated?

There are a few simple steps to making or changing your will:

1) Draw up a list of your assets.

2) Decide who you would like to receive a gift in your Will and what you would like them to receive.

3) Decide who you would like to be your executors and arrange a meeting with your solicitor.

4) Keep your Will safe and tell a family member where it is. 

What if I have already written my Will?

If you have already written your will but would like to now add a gift to the Burgess Autistic Trust, your solicitor or legal advisor will draw up a codicil for you, this is a simple amendment to a Will.

This shouldn’t be expensive but we recommend that you consult a solicitor or legal advisor to ensure that the document is worded correctly and legally binding.

What if I don’t have very much to leave?

A legacy does not have to be a large sum of money. Any gift left to the Burgess Autistic Trust is very much appreciated and extremely important to our work.

What about Inheritance Tax?

Leaving a gift to a charity such as the Burgess Autistic Trust can lower the Inheritance Tax payable on your estate. Your solicitor can answer any questions you have about Inheritance Tax.